Stuffed Shells

As promised, here is the first of many recipes I want to share.

Our GAPS/grain-free journey is possibly nearing it's end
BUT
I've learned a lot
and added some great, nutritious recipes to my repitoire!

This recipe is called 
Stuffed Shells...
and the "shells" can be bell peppers, steamed cabbage leaves, or any other cup shaped veggie you can imagine!

We used green bell peppers...

Ingredients:
1/2 lb grass fed ground beef
3 large mushrooms
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 C chopped spinach
1 1/2 C ricotta cheese (I used kefir cheese)
1C shredded mozzarella (I used raw grass fed cheddar)
1/2 tsp parsley
1 beaten egg yolk
4 bell peppers or 8 lg cabbage leaves
2C tomato sauce

Directions:
Steam cabbage leaves if that's what you are using.  Brown beef and add veggies. Cook till soft. Mix ricotta (or kefir cheese), half the mozzarella, and parsley in a bowl, add meat mixture. Pour a little of the tomato sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Stuff your veggie shells with the mixture (or roll your stuffed cabbage leaves), set on the sauce. Pour the rest of the sauce over the tops and add the rest of the shredded mozzarella. Bake at 350 till cheese is melted.

Tips: I would recommend steaming which ever veggie "shell" you decide to use prior to filling and baking. The first time I did this, the green peppers took FOREVER to cook.

{I adapted this recipe from one over at Modern Alternative Mama's place. Check her out!}